ATTENTION: Heading link
ATTENTION: We have reached the end of funding for this grant. We will no longer be accepting referrals.
Note: This referral is for Faculty and Staff only. Students are not able to apply.
Background: In June, 2021, UIC was awarded a second GEER grant for $1.3 million to support three initiatives, including the UIC food pantry, paying past due balances for students in good standing who have financial holds, and emergency funds.
Students can receive an award typically up to $2,500 for emergency expenses, e.g., past due rent, medical bills, computer-related expenses, familial hardship (parent lost job, household food insecurity, etc.). Part-time students are eligible for an award, with a maximum of $1,000. These are not for tuition, fees, past due balances, etc. as the past dues balance strategy supports this need.
To be eligible for the grant, students must meet the below criteria:
- A UIC degree-seeking, undergraduate student
- Experiencing financial need due to the pandemic
- Currently enrolled
- A US Citizen/Resident; DACA recipient; Undocumented resident
Students are eligible even if they:
- Have already received a U and I Care grant
- *Please don’t refer students to both.
- Have already received a HEERF/COVID-19 Emergency Grant
This is a referral process only. Students may not directly apply for funds. Only staff and faculty can make a referral.
- Make sure to provide an itemized list (dollar amount and expense) for us to assess this. If there is not enough information, we will request more info delaying the payment.
- 3 times a week, we will assess the referrals for eligibility and process them for payment.
- Notifications will be made within 7 days of submission.
- Only UIC staff can make referrals- no students, including GAs, TAs, and RAs.
- First payments the week of September 7 (after 10-day census).
Questions or concerns? Please contact Jo Berry: email@example.com or Sue Farruggia: firstname.lastname@example.org.